Announcing the arrival of
a beautiful new baby girl born at
Yreka, California . . .
Whitney and Matthew
12 00 a.m.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
20 1/4 inches
9 pounds, 3 ounces
Origin of the name Daphne: Greek
Name's original meaning: "Laurel tree"
- Yreka: 7,550
- U.S. population: 311,809,626
- Sunrise and sunset:
- 6:36 a.m.
- 7:48 p.m.
- Local weather:
- Yreka high: 51° F
- Yreka low: 39° F
- The nation's weather extremes:
- High: 92° at Harlingen, Texas
- Low: -6 at Wainwright, Alaska
- The day's Dow Jones close:
- Your dollar's worth
- Loaf of bread: $2.49
- Gallon of milk: $3.85
- Gallon of gasoline: $4.28
- First-class stamp: $0.45
- New car: $21,700.00
- Average new home: $255,000.00
Other interesting people born on this date:
- 1862 - Charles Evans Hughes - Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1930 to 1941 who protected the constitution by his strong opposition to Franklin Roosevelt's scheme to stack the court with members sympathetic to his causes.
- 1755 - James Parkinson - English surgeon and medical explorer who wrote the first papers on appendicitis and who provided the first medical description of Parkinson's disease.
- Other notable events
on this day in history:
1981 - Everyone watched in amazement as the first space shuttle, Columbia, launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
1955 - The Salk vaccine was declared safe and effective against the dread disease of polio.
1947 - Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier by becoming the first black athlete to play major league ball in a game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.
1861 - The American Civil War began as Confederate forces fired on Fort Sumter, South Carolina.